在工作期间，若外籍教师需离境（包括香港和澳门），后仍需返回中国工作，请务必办理再入境签证，以确保能返回。签证所需材料：（1）护照 （2）签证申请表 （3）照片两张（4）居留证复印件
Instructions for Foreign Teachers
Dear foreign teachers, thanks for your services at Hexi University, The following instructions are for your work at this university. Please read them carefully and are besure to abide by them. Thank you for your cooperation.
I. Day-to-day Management
Please deliver your Health Certificate (Medical Examination Form), passport, resume, a copy of your diplomas and ten recent two-inch frontal color photos to the International Exchanges and Cooperation Office, within five days after your arrival at our university for the immediate application of your Expert Residence Permit, Foreign Expert Certificate, and other required documents.
The International Exchanges and Cooperation Office is responsible for handling all your relevant documents. Typically, a long term foreign expert should have the following documents.
(1) Foreigner Residence Permit
This document will be issued by the Exit-Entry Administration Section of Gansu’s Provincial Bureau of Public Security. This permit ensures the legal residence of a foreigner working for a long term in China and his or her family members, and it is one of the most important documents. Please take good care of it, and keep in mind its terms of validity to make sure you will leave China or apply for an extension before it expires.
Please carry a copy of your passport and your residence permit and keep their originals safe at home when you go out. And remember to bring along the originals of both if you leave Zhangye.
(2) Foreign Expert Certificate
This document will be issued by The Gansu Provincial Foreign Experts Affairs Bureau. It is an important document to prove your identity as a foreign expert working in China. You don’t have to carry it every day and please do take good care of it. You will need this document for currency exchange transactions at any Chinese bank and when you apply for the extension of your Residence Permit.
(3) Re-entry Visa
Please apply for a re-entry visa if you need to return after you leave mainland China (Including Hong Kong or Macau) during your stay. The following will be needed for your re-entry visa: (1) Passport; (2) Visa Application Form; (3) two photos; (4) a copy of the Residence Permit
Two copies of 2-inch photos are required for the application of your residence permit or re-entry visa. Please prepare several copies just in case.
(5) Fees and Charges
Our university will handle the application of your work documents including your Foreigner Residence Permit, Foreign Expert Certificate, and Hexi University Employee Certificate. The fees are covered by the school (see original), but the charges for the medical examination will be at your own expense. Please pay the required charges before you ask the International Exchanges and Cooperation Office to handle the application of your documents. Fees and charges will be settled and their invoices will be handed to you when you pick up your documents.
(6) Your Foreigner Residence Permit, Foreign Expert Certificate, and other required documents, must be turned in to the International Exchanges and Cooperation Office before your departure.
2. Payment of Salary
The salary of a foreign expert is paid around the 7th of each month. You will apply for a salary card (a debit card issued by China Construction Bank) accompanied by a staff member of our office for your first month’s salary. Thereafter, you can withdraw your salary with your card after the 8th of each month. With your bank card, you can deposit or withdraw money at any branch of the China Construction Bank in Zhangye.
3. Accommodation Management
(1) You will be provided free of charge with an apartment for equipped with a complete set of kitchen wares, electrical appliances and equipment needed for your work and study. You and a staff member of the Foreign Exchanges and Cooperation Office will check and confirm each item, and you will be required to sign before your occupancy and use. The Office will also check them before your departure, and you will be required to pay for any loss of or damages. Changing apartments without prior consent of the Office is not allowed.
(2) Visiting friends or colleagues are not allowed to stay overnight at your apartment unless you obtain permission from the Foreign Affairs Office and register in advance.
(3) Your apartment has been fitted with a direct dial telephone, and you can apply for international call service, if necessary. Telephone charges will be at your own expense, you may need to pay for the charges each previous month at the China Telecom branch before the 20th. Please settle all phone charges before you leave. You will have free access to INTERNET with the computer provided at your apartment, which also has access to our campus network.
● Please deliver a copy of your insurance document to the Foreign Exchanges and Cooperation Office if you have applied for international insurance before arrival. Otherwise, you are required to apply for personal accident insurance or medical insurance, which cover your stay at our University, at your own expenses. Our Office will provide assistance for your application.
● Please report in writing the time, location, destination, and important information to our office if you plan for overnight during your stay at our University. For example, visiting friend or a relative outside of Zhangye on festivals, holidays, or on vacations.
● Please ensure the safe use of water, electricity, and gas. Your apartment is equipped with a fire extinguisher.
5. Further Information:
(1) The college in which you will work will assign a partner teacher to provide work related assistance. You may contact your partner teacher or the college if you need any help regarding in teaching (Tel. of the College of Foreign Languages & Literature: 0936-8282057, 0936-8282056)
(2) You may also contact the International Exchanges and Cooperation Office for any help regarding life or work. We are very glad to help you. (Tel. of our Office: 0936 - 8283233)
外 教 须 知
Foreign Teachers Notices
（Laws and Regulations）
Foreign teachers’ are required to respect the local customs, and laws, and regulations. Foreign teachers should work within Chinese law and University regulations:
1. Foreign Teachers must abide by Chinese laws and regulations, and in no way interfere in China's Internal Affairs.
2. The Chinese people respect the religious beliefs of foreign teachers. Foreign teachers are entitled to take part in approved Chinese religious practices and meetings. It is prohibited for foreign teachers to proselytize students or baptize students.
Foreign teachers are permitted to meet with other foreign teachers for religious purposes.
NOTE this does not include Chinese Citizens.
If you do not conduct yourself as requested your contract may be terminated.
3. Teachers must abide by the administration and operational policies of the University and the Department they work in, which includes organizations, inspection, and evaluations.
4. It is not desirable for foreign teachers to accept additional paid work outside of the University. If a foreign teacher wishes to take a part time job, they must consult the International Office and the situation will be discussed and considered.
5. Foreign teachers are not permitted to carry out investigations involving China’s political ideology, social conditions, economic, scientific, or technological secrets, the special biological resources.
6. Foreign teachers who plan to host diplomatic personnel, foreign journalists, tourist, friends or family are required to notify the International Office prior to their arrival. Guests are not to engage in formal or informal discussions with faculty staff or students unless the International Office or Department has given consent.
7. The International Office requires all foreign staff to complete a leave form prior to any travel outside of Zhangye City or if a staff member plans to stay outside the university for longer than 24 hours. Written application must be made one week in advance and you will be required to provide information detailing the purpose of travel, scheduling, who you will be traveling with, emergency contacts and telephone numbers. You are required to always travel with your passports and work permit. It is recommended that you carry your passport even when traveling within Zhangye County.
8. If foreign teachers are required to participate in the collective activities or projects held by their organizations during the academic school year, the International Office must be informed. Applications must be made one week in advance so the Department can make the necessary arrangements to cater for the students in the teacher’s absence.
9. If foreign teachers are required to participate activities, meetings, training, or projects held by their organization during the holidays or the summer or winter vacation, the International Office must be informed. Applications must be made in advance detailing locations, routes, and date and time of return.
10. Foreign teachers who wish to apply for personal leave are required to complete a written application at least a week in advance, if possible. Staff are free to leave once signed permission is received from the Department Dean and the International Office. If personal leave is granted the teacher concerned will be required to ‘catch up’ all lessons after their return.
11. Foreign teachers must inform the Department Dean and the International office if they require sick leave. Foreign teachers may be required to ‘catch up’ on all lessons and work.
12. Foreign teachers receive 30 days vacation leave annually (two days per month). Except in the case of emergencies, foreign teachers will be required take this leave only during school holidays. Taking leave while school is in session is discouraged. If a foreign teacher’s parents, children or other immediate family member suffering serious illness or passes away, the foreign teacher can apply for emergency leave to return home and can leave after the approval of the Department Dean and the International Office.
外 教 须 知
Rules and Suggestions for Foreign Teachers
(About Teaching Activities)
1. The department which the foreign teacher works for will assign each foreign teacher a Chinese counterpart. The counterpart is to help with teaching, living problems or inconveniences. The person in charge is Tiger, vice dean of the English Department. (Office phone: 8283565, Mobile phone: 13519062636). The school will arrange a conference to clarify tasks and requirements while living and working as soon as possible after the school semester begins.
2. Foreign teachers must obey the rules and requirements of the school. They must strictly follow the contract, and cannot skip or reschedule classes at will. They are not allowed to work for any other organizations without approval of the school.
3. The textbook can be negotiated, and foreign teachers are encouraged to introduce advanced foreign textbooks on condition that they conform to Chinese laws, and benefit in their teaching.
4. Foreign teachers should teach according to their lesson plan and syllabi. Text books can be chosen by the school and foreign teachers. The school encourages teachers to adopt useful and modern teaching. The school likes to use the books foreign teacher recommend.
5. Foreign teachers must have prepared lessons before teaching. Teaching plans and outline must be written according requirements. Your teaching group will check what you have written these before teaching. You must give all your required paper work to the institute where you work at the end of the semester.
6. There is a booklet for each class to record the students’ names, classes, grades, and attendance. The final grades of the students calculated will be 30% at ordinary times, 30% mid-exam and 40% for the final exam.
7. For each semester, students are required to take two examinations: a mid-term and a final. For each exam, foreign teachers are expected to give two exam papers with answer keys, mark them, the results into the designated computer database.
8. The rules for correct teaching practices and for foreign teachers must be obeyed. Foreign staff should accept the assignments, guidance, inspection and assessment given by the university authorities. In addition, other temporary tasks are also included, such as class observation, student guidance, and teaching practice.
9. Each teacher is asked to observe 10hours per semester of their colleagues’ classes. Recorder your comments in the designed booklet. It is asked to be turned in to the department after the semester ends
10. Foreign teachers must give lessons or exams in the regular classrooms or exam rooms, not in their apartment.
11. Foreign teachers are encouraged to exchange ideas with Chinese staff or counterparts about teaching issues, and try to participate, as much as possible, in activities forums, lectures, and, workshops organized by the relevant department.
12. Please enjoy, like Chinese the staff, holidays, working 5 days a week and resting at weekends.